Tuesday, October 2, 2012

City of Art.

After a busy wedding weekend for my old brother Kellen and new sister-in-law Lacey Jae,  I sensed that my lovely girl wanted some alone time with me.  At least, time we shared that people wouldn't be asking us to assist in wedding plans, rehearsals, ceremonies and everything else that was invovled.  I needed to thank her for giving her time to my family for the weekend.   Artprize offered the great escape for the few hours we had until the monday morning blues would slap us both.     

  
My Emaley had never been downtown Grand Rapids, MI.  How that could happen is news to me, Grand Rapids is my favorite "big city" in Michigan.   Since it is part of my old stomping grounds when I went to Grand Valley State I was in control and new how to handle the massive crowds of Artprize.    I however had never been to Artprize, so the quantities of people where crazy for me even.

For those of you who don't know about Artprize here is a basic rundown.  GR is flooded with great artist,  local and international artists.  Their art is placed throughout the city,  We (the public) get to see it all for free,  and then vote for the best piece of the year.  The winner of Artprize goes home with a substantial purse of $$$$.  Kinda fun right.      

It was a great time because of the relaxed atmosphere and all the art, keeping the conversation fun, free and flowing.   Life is good when talking the Sunday afternoon stroll, especially when their is so much art to enjoy.   The horses in the river caught Emaley's eye quickly, and instantly she knew who she would be voting for.   She knew despite see only a percentage of Artprize, that is my babe sometimes she knows what she wants.   


She also loved this one,  a collage of plastics that formed a wonderful image of Marilyn Monroe.  Gotta love some found piece art, as I called it.  


I myself was partial to the sturgeon or salmon artwork installed in the Grand River.   The artist used the power of the flowing water to animate this school of fish traveling upriver to spawn.  Further upriver (outside of view) a real fisherman is poised to catch the fall run of salmon from Lake Michigan. 





Each of us had the camera for a while, sharing blog duties.  I caught her admiring a piece, vice versa. 



An elephant that I call found piece art.  I think it is called mixed media art. 

As I write this I don't have time to proofread because of all the other task that I must accomplish in a typical week for a graduate student.   Makes me want to spend more
time with my babe in Pure Michigan.  

- Dating MI



















3 comments:

  1. If you like it then comment please. Hell if you hate it then please hate.

    If you don't have haters your not doing anything. - someone said this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. agreed! sorry we missed this year, but plan on attending next, very amazing!

      Delete